08 December 2005

Digital TV on my laptop

Yesterday I received my DVB USB TV Receiver, and had a quick play with it last night. Unfortunately I couldn't get a signal where I live with the supplied mini aerial. Reading the manual it explains that if you are indoors you should try and use a normal rood top aerial. This again caused a problem as our is shit! We actually have two, and I've only tried one up to now, but I got the same "Low signal" message. Looking on the freeview website at out postcode I got a message to tell me that I need a "wideband" aerial as digital TV is broadcast using a different type of transmitter in my area (some areas can use the same type of aerial)

I brought it into work this morning to see if I could get a signal here, and I checked the coverage again

Another mention in the manual is that weather conditions play a big role too. I need to try again at home with the supplied aerial, and pray that I can use it when we go in the caravan!

Another option is to also buy the standard USB gear so that a normal analogue aerial can be used.

Update: I obviously need to go down the road to my Mum's house to try the equipment

No comments: