13 September 2004

First day on site

Haven't been blogging for a while because I've been on site. I did keep an offline blog, which I'm completing now (via wireless connection!!)

After checking in nice and early and getting me a good aisle seat near the front, I get to check in only to find that they've changed my seat (so that the trim of the aircraft was correct). Well I know lets put him just outside the engine housing. "So....you're an apple user" said the guy next to me when he saw my iPod. Thats cool I thought to myself a common topic found. You wouldn't here that kind of comment getting out a PDA or a windows laptop. Turned out he used to work for Apple! He'd obviouslt left that job however to persue his career as the world's fastest eater. Now I'm a fast eater, but this guy was blackening his finger nails. I'd barely opened the plastic cutlery packet and there were bits of veggie sausage flying my way from the blurred table to mouth action next to me. left a very rainy Birmingham, only to drop out of the clouds in Aberdeen to glorious sunshine - who'd have thought. It was very very windy however and the pilot "made sure of the landing" by slamming the aircraft down the last 30 feet. The wing dropped and very nearly hit the grass - Mr apple next to me grabbed the chair and my shoulder as he jumped out of his skin. Veena the hostess (who was sitting on my other side) just rolled her eyes.
Got to site and had a pretty unedventful day (apart from them deciding they pretty much want a complete re-write of the software). I didn't get much done other than sign the permit on. My site induction is happening tomorrow (3 hours of it).
Got to hotel in Peterhead to find that the town is the biggest white fish port in Europe - this should be promising for supper I thought. The hotel itself has an excellent fish brasserie and I manged to blow my entire daily allowance on supper. The only thing spoiling it was being on my own. Tasha will be very jealous. Had prawn and cray fish tail salas to start and crab stuffed monkfish, wrapped in parma ham and served with a cream muchsroom and tomato sauce. This followed the frsh and hot olive ciabatta and red pepper and tomato soup. The restaurant itself is was set in a kind of dance hall room.
Have retired to my room to watch Shaolin Soccer on DVD. Rang my sister tonight and she's getting married ti Mike in April!!!!


Check out some of the pictures from my visit

No comments: